You are getting good advice on workarounds for this combination.  I think
you understand it, but I think for the benefit of others, it's worth
stating that the Nitto M12 + Paul Cantilever brakes is not an ideal
combination.  The Nitto M12 was made to work with cantilever brakes that do
not extend past the end of the cantilever posts.  Did Compe DC980, recently
sold by Rivendell are one of those models.  Paul cantilever brakes can work
awesome with a small front rack, but does best with rack models that have
adjustable struts.  The Rene Herse UD-2 is the best of those (and is
manufactured by Nitto).

Folks can make that combo work, but it takes work to get good results.  For
those who are not yet stuck with that combination, there are other combos
that work together more effortlessly.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA