Hi Michael,

I have a 3 year old that rides a Woom 2 (and yes, the balance bike is
definitely a great way to learn. He was on his own after a few days of
trying. I used the advice from this video to help him learn:
few https://www.islabikes.co.uk/blogs/riding-advice/teach-your-child-to-ride).

I would say that for most kids and their "first bikes", an important factor
in mastering how to ride is good bike design. Weight is maybe the biggest
factor (for a 30 lb kid, the Woom which is pretty much the lightest bike on
the market at 11 lb, is 30% of their weight!) but also the bikes' geometry
and Q factor. I have seen other kids on big box store bikes that weigh
almost the same as they do, trying to learn and struggling, and it doesn't
look like much fun.

Using handlebars designed for adult-sized bikes may throw the little bike's
handling off significantly (and the promenades are almost a pound all by
themselves). I would also put forward that the promenade is a swept back
bar, and most kid's bikes are designed around flat bars. He'd likely be
cramped and have a hard time turning the bars (unless you put a long stem
on the bike - more weight - but even then, I think the bars would take up a
lot of space). I mention all of this, because I've thought about the same
thing as you for my kid. I want him on a bike that has the same aesthetic
that I love in bikes... but yeah, between a bike that weighs 11 lbs rather
than a bike that looks pretty cool but weighs closer to 18 lbs (Veloretti
kids bikes, for example) - I'll take the trade off that my kid enjoys
riding and takes pride in mastering something. He's 3 years and a few
months and is already riding very independently (we did 10 km to a local
watering hole last week) - that's what's been the most important thing for
me. I'd also say that comfort (swept back vs. flat bars) is less of an
issue for a young rider doing a few km at most.

I'd say when you get to 5-8 year old bike sizes, you might be able to Riv
it out a bit more.

best of luck either way and cheers,

John