What a great discussion! Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the
stories.

Leah & Eric - I hear you about the safety. My son can hold his neck upright
pretty well right now but I failed to take into account the added weight of
the helmet. Head bobbing is also another good point I didn't think about
before.

So it seems like most people started between the ages of 9 months to 18
months. Those who started earlier used trailers or car seats for extra
protection and head stability. I was excited to start him earlier than 12
months, but given everyone's responses here, we are now thinking of waiting
till one year to be on the safer side (months 9 to 12 for us are anyways
going to be overlapping with the winter).

In terms of seats vs. trailers, looks like a lot of folks end up going the
trailer or rear-mounted seat route. We'll probably have to try multiple
options and see what works, but my wife and I are more attracted to the
front mounted seat option. Our thinking (similar to Bones above) is that
having the baby in the front where we can see or interact with him seems
like a more fun experience for both the baby and parents. These days, we
love walking around with the baby in the carrier and front mounted child
seat feels like a bike version of it. Granted that he will age out of this
option by year 2, we still feel that the experience will be worth the extra
cost and mounting effort. Our plan is to start with Thule Yepp Mini on my
Appalossa with Albatross bars (we'll have to watch out for the clearance
issue Michael mentioned above). We are not much of utility riders and most,
if not all, our rides with the baby will be on car-free paved or dirt
paths. This makes me feel a little better about opting out of the safety
that trailers provide. But only the time will tell what this baby is going
to like.