Oh, btw, I have a sad very-little-ridden S3X hub with 130 mm spacing and
gold shell, with bar end shifter that I might be tempted to sell or trade
for something interesting; contact me if interested. OTOH, I think of using
it with that Libertas whose delayed refurbishing so dismays Bill: either 52
X 15 fixed cog for a 94" downhill gear to make up for the horrible slop,
and 70" and 59" underdrives -- actually, not bad gaps for fixed; or with a
46 t ring and a 17 t fw for a 73" high and a couple of miscellaneous
climbing gears -- 55 and 46"; but these are too close for an ideal climbing
range. But probably better to use my second AM hub.

Anyway, I might be persuaded ...

On Tue, Sep 5, 2023 at 10:46 AM Patrick Moore <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Talk about multispeeding RoadUnos and Quickbeams has me chucking smugly to
> myself as I ride my 2020 Matthews clone of the Riv Curt, but now with that
> ne plus ultra and utlima Thule and perfect acme of hub gears, the ASC close
> ratio 3 speed fixed hub. I had trouble getting the shifters sorted because
> the OEM shifter -- the hub has its own cable pull lengths -- would not hold
> 1st/low if the cable was barely slack enough to hold 3rd/high, but
> yesterday did some delicate Dremeling to the trigger to give a couple of mm
> more cable slack in 3rd, allowing me to tighten it enough to securely hold
> 1st. Such is the arcana of IHG shifting.
>
> But it complements this bike wonderfully. I'd had it built for fixed wheel
> riding with an AM hub wheel as an occasional alternative but ended up
> riding the AM wheel all the time. But I missed fixed and this hub gives me
> the best of all the worlds of interest to me: fixed without horrible slop
> as on the sad S3X, and relatively close ratios with sufficient range to be
> useful: 48 X 17 with 25 3/5" wheel = 72"/65"/54". And it's easy to shift
> back to the AM wheel (freewheel, 75/65/56) if I want to.
>
> I had the driver (that holds the cog) swapped out for an AW threaded
> driver so that I can use both a screw-on fixed cog (currently) or a
> screw-on single freewheel.
>
> I got a very good deal on the new or as-new hub -- as-new except for a
> damaged flange on the very thin and light aluminum 40-hole shell. But Aaron
> at Rat City Bikes swapped the innards into a modern and sturdier 32-hole
> aluminum shell, removed the blue anodizing, and swapped in the threaded
> driver. I have the OEM driver but even that takes modern 3-spline SA cogs
> and not the now very rare 12-spline ones. Fat Tire at its new Corrales
> location has a good wheelbuilder and built a very sturdy wheel out of one
> of my EQ21 rims. The nearer and previously privately owned High Desert was
> bought by Specialized and their expert wheelbuilder left, so it's good to
> have Fat Tire on my side of the river.
>
> I've got besides the "main" fixed wheel (17/19 t Dingle, 76" and 68" with
> qr Phil hub for easy manual shifting) for the 1999 Riv road custom a TC
> wheel (76" and 66") and a wonderful TF wheel -- hardly any slop at all (76"
> and 57"); it's good to have lower gears as I get older for headwinds and
> hills and on days when I am feeling non-energetic.

> Patrick Moore
> Alburquerque, Nuevo Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique, Orbis Terrarum

> Executive resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, letters, and other writing
> services.

> *When thou didst not, savage,*
>
> *Know thine own meaning, but wouldst gabble like*
>
> *A thing most brutish, I endowed thy purposes*
>
> *With words that made them known.*

Patrick Moore