I agree with Patrick that your Veloce FD didn't like the vintage-ish cranks
you're using. The rear shifting (I remember you're using Silver friction
bar-ends) should be fine with that 8-speed cassette and an 8- or 9-speed
chain.

1x would probably work for the kind of gearing you like but yes, you'd be
swapping everything and most of that stuff is waaaay uglier than your Campy
bits. I don't know enough about all that to give recommendations.