I can’t really advise on clothes, because I sew most of the clothes I wear,
but unfortunately my hand made skirts and dresses don’t really work on the
bike. I wore a handmade grey dress recently when I was using my Cheviot,
which has an unguarded triple, on my car’s hitch mount rack, and I managed
to plant a big chainring mark on the front of the skirt while lifting the
bike onto the rack. Luckily I was able to get the stain out by rubbing it
with Mexican Zote laundry soap and cold water, then laundering as normal.
My favorite pants for bike riding were the sadly discontinued REI Kornati,
which have a little horizontal loop at knee level on the outside of each
side of the knee, and a vertical hanging strap on the insides of the legs,
with two parts of plastic snap on the end of the strap. They are
unnoticeable when then pants are worn unrolled, but gather up each side of
the legs when the straps are snapped through the loop. My handmade jeans
are all narrow enough legs that I just fold them up out of the way, but my
company’s dress code only allows jeans on Fridays.
For footwear I like Xero shoes, which are very thin soled. I have the Mesa
Trail, Kelso and a knit slip on style called Oswego which I don’t think
they carry any more. They work well for my small wide feet and have enough
grip on the pedals.