For a those who missed the sale and are still looking for something like
these I can’t recommend Ride Concepts “Vice” shoes enough. I ride them with
the MKS monarch pedals and there is no sign of premature wear due to peg
damage. The combination grips so well that I sometimes forget I’m not
clipped.

The sole of the vice is a waffle pattern gum sole (similar to Vans, FiveTen
and other popular, flat pedal mountain bike shoes). The uppers are suede,
but they have more of the texture of the back side of leather IMO than what
I think of as suede. And though not advertised as such, they also seem to
come with some kind of hydrophobic coating coating. I’ve observed water
beading up on the surface of the shoe instead of being absorbed when riding
through puddles.

You can get them for about $100 on Amazon (and I’m sure elsewhere) and for
me they ran about .5 under true to size. I wear a 12.5 in them when I’m
typically a 12.

On Mon, Oct 9, 2023 at 12:00 PM Shannon Menkveld <shannon.menkv...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Even though the sale is over, I figured I'd chime in on the shoes:
>
> They're the closest thing I've found to the early 80's touring shoes.
>
> The soles (on the basic version, which is what I have) are stiff enough to
> ride hard, road-style, (on the balls of the feet, with clips & straps,) and
> soft enough to do normal off-the-bike things. I've worn them all day at
> work, and it was OK. My understanding is that the higher level ones are
> stiffer, so maybe not as good off the bike?
>
> They come in a 12.5 (US). That's pretty awesome, as I usually have to buy
> 13s because half-sizes stop at 10 or 11.
>
> They don't scream "hey, bro, lookit mah shooooz!!!1!!"
>
> The combination of 5.10 Freeriders, MKS Urban Platform pedals, Soma
> double-gate toe clips, and Velo-Orange laminated straps is about as good as
> it gets for the combination of foot retention's advantages (which do exist,
> even if they're mostly subjective) and off-the-bike functionality and
> convenience that I've ever had in almost 40 years of road riding. I have
> flats (Odyssey Grandstand V2s) on my around-town bomber bike, but for a
> recreational / touring road bike, I've found my happy place.
>
> The only complaint I have is that the laces are too long, but I've been
> tucking my right  laces into my right shoes since the Reagan
> administration, so that's a pretty minor complaint.
>
> --Shannon
>
> On Tuesday, September 26, 2023 at 7:13:34 AM UTC-7 Rich Lesnik wrote:
>
>> SOLD OUT
>>

>> On Monday, September 25, 2023 at 10:20:54 AM UTC-7 rmro...@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>>
>>> My experience with several pairs of 5/10’s. Fantastic grip & overall
>>> durability. Big, sharp pins without any significant damage to the Stealth
>>> soles. Freerider’s I size up 1/2 size. I can wear a 9 but my 9.5’s are
>>> better. Freerider pro size up at least 1/2 size. I did and it’s a very snug