I am fortunate to live in a development adjacent to one of the trail heads
to an expansive area of preserved grass and woodlands (much of it former
farmland) with a growing network of multiuse paths.  That particular
location in the photo is not necessarily along my usual route, but a short
detour onto one of the unmaintained alternate trails.  A large part of the
main trail has been paved with many others now packed gravel and stone dust
but this is still a good example of the scenery I do get to experience
whenever I do get out on the bike.

These trails now account for a significant % of my total mileage and I do
certainly get to turn most bike errand runs into a pleasant outing.
Unfortunately, my actual frequency of bike based errands or grocery runs
has greatly decreased lately so the majority of my recent rides have become
a variety of quick out and back loops or weekend family biking.  With a
trout stocked brook and a decent size lake on the opposite side of the park
system just a few miles away we can arrange some extended bike based family
outings so I've continued to experiment with various gear and kid hauling
combinations the past few years, whenever time permits or when our growing
child warranted adjustments with seating arrangements.  Kid hauling has
since been simplified to a second hand seat post mounted tag-a-long tandem
type attachment now that he's outgrown the rear mounted child seats and
started riding on his own.  The tandem attachment is only fitted right now
to my old 90's rigid MTB which lacks a front rack or basket and could use
some revisiting for gear hauling solutions but I was otherwise happy to
find a new use for the frame that had been at risk of offloading for
sometime.

The Schwinn does make a very nice beater grocery bike but I've honestly
been tempted on a few occasions to strip it down and give it a spray.bike
repaint.  It's paint is in the worst condition of all my current bikes and
after having it serviced and aligned at a local shop after some initial
handling issues with the first build, I've since enjoyed it enough to think
a fresh coat of paint and re-build could be entirely worthwhile.  On the
other hand, I continue to appreciate it's current state and a complete lack
of concern for it's cosmetics so I eventually reconsider and leave it
alone.  It was an unexpected and opportunistic acquisition from a co-op
that was a short ride from my former office.  I would occasionally drop in
there to bring donated boxes of no longer needed parts and/or spend time
digging through the bins for occasional needed items for other projects
when I happened to see the huge frame in the rafters.  Brought it home that
day and it's served me well ever since so I may just end up giving it a
full makeover one of these days if I find the time.

Brian Cole