Bike commuter here. I ditched the second family car a couple of years ago
and any time I'm going somewhere without my wife within the city, I'm on my
bike. I average about 20 miles per day between commuting to work and other
errands around town. I'm also in a less-than-ideal bike city (at least
that's what I'm told, I don't think it's that bad... maybe I'm just
desensitized at this point). My advice may or may not be all that helpful
but I'll offer it anyway:

Find your mental happy place, your "zen" if you want to call it that. For
me, that was understanding that I can't control what other people do and
just expect it, handle it and move on. I'm far happier if I don't let
things outside of my control bother me. Stuff in the bike lane, aggressive
drivers yelling at me, inattentive drivers turning in front of me. I have
found that if I just expect every car to turn in front of me and every bike
lane to be blocked, I don't get mad and I just shake my head and move on
with my life. Part of this, too, has been exploring alternate routes. If I
take a route that's full of inattentive dockless scooter riders, maybe I'll
see if I can find a less crowded way to get through that section of my
route, even if it means adding extra to the route.

My last piece of advice is to check out Ride with GPS's route planner
<https://ridewithgps.com/routes/new> and their public heatmaps. I have
found that this, in conjunction with Google Map's bike navigation can help
me avoid bad roads and ride routes that other cyclists ride regularly. To
me, this indicates that either there is good infrastructure along that
route or, at the very least, drivers might be more accustomed to seeing
bikes along that route.

I hope you found that information helpful.

--
Ted Wood < ted.l.w...@gmail.com >