We went from a 12" balance to 16" pedal and that transition worked out well
with one caveat - we used both simultaneously.  I'd 100% agree with your
concern with quickly outgrowing a 14" as the seatpost is already maxed out
for our 6+yr old on our Trek Precaliber 16.  I'd suggest checking out some
available options at local shops, if possible... not to sway you from
ordering a Woom but even with picking out a balance bike I found it helpful
seeing them up close in store, even if just to help eliminate some options
and better inform your choices.  One local shop had a couple balance bikes
and one (Giant Pre, I think?) had a nice option to allow conversion to a
pedal bike with a foot rest insert for a standard threaded bottom bracket
shell in balance mode, which could then be swapped out for cranks and a
rear hub threaded for a single freewheel.  I was initially drawn to this
option as a bike tinkerer but the frame design had a higher top tube than
some other 12" purpose built balance options and made it difficult for our
then 2-3yr old to even straddle the frame.  We ended up with an REI balance
bike that had a better fit range for the earlier years but that lacked any
of those pedal add on options.  It continued to work with maxed out
seatpost and stem until nearly 6yr!

Our progression was interesting in that our kiddo kind of lost interest in
the balance bike early on then later took a strong interest in it again
AFTER we got the bigger 16" pedal bike and right before we were thinking it
might be time to hand it down to a younger cousin.  So we ended up
alternating between the balance bike and pedal bike with training wheels
and quickly progressed to learning to ride this past spring with both
options available at once.  I think after feeling the limitations of
steering the  training wheeled pedal bike vs. the more nimble balance bike
and wanting to ride on our local gravel paths it sparked more of desire to
learn.  The Trek is also on the heavier side for such a small bike but
haven't actually weighed it compared to other options in the size range.
We chose the Trek more or less based on local availability, fit with the
step through sloping tubes, and of course COLOR to accommodate a specific
favorite color request!   The Trek comes with widely spaced 2" knobbies
which I knew would work well on our local trails.  I do like how Woom
offers the hand brakes with kid sized levers to get them learning that
early on but with our flat trails and paths the coaster brake has been
fine.  We were also fortunate to acquire a used tag-along tandem attachment
to use with one of my own bikes at the same time as we still had the
balance bike and 16" pedal bike and I think that combination of revisiting
the balance bike while learning to pedal on both the 20" wheeled tandem
attachment and 16" pedal bike all played a factor in building the
confidence to lead up to ditching the training wheels altogether on the 16"
bike.  It may have been overkill to have all 3 available at once but
ultimately it gave our child options and to Awentzell's point, it allowed
the whole experience to remain fun and fluid and to build confidence at
their own pace.  It also helped mix things up for all of us between longer
family rides with the tandem attachment vs. short loops with us walking
along vs. just striding along inside or outside on the balance bike.

Oh, one other benefit of some local shops is they sometimes have a
guaranteed trade in program for sizing up.  I actually think that is an
option for our Trek if we wanted to trade in for a bigger size with a
credit applied.  I still need to look into that as I forget if it was
something with the shop and the Trek we actually bought or another
dealer/brand.  We have some younger cousins so have been handing down much
of our outgrown stuff rather than reselling but will need to see what our
trade in options are for the 16" bike before making any final decisions
since it may end up making more sense to trade up vs. swapping components
and keeping it but will see how the fit is come spring and how much
adjusting is needed.