Hi Max,

In the spirit of talking you in rather than talking you out: I completely
love my 59 cm Susie and it would be great for what you describe.

The only time I think I could stand to add another mountain bike is when I
don't ride the Susie for a period of time. Otherwise, it does everything
I'd ever ask of it, from the prairie single track I usually ride to
occasional visits to the Rockies.

But thinking of it as a mountain bike sells it short; hillibike is apt. The
best thing about it is its versatility. It does not ever tempt me (well, I
don't own a car, but the point stands) to drive to a trailhead, because it
is super pleasant for cruising along city streets. And for related reasons
it would make a great touring bike (I'll try that next summer). Last week,
I did a 65km ride that was half city cruising with my dad, half mtb ride.
Then, a couple days later, I did 50kms on trails, gravel roads, city
streets, and a large hike-a-bike segment. Best bike around for that kind of
mix-and-match stuff.

And I wouldn't worry for a second about weight. Mine is rackless, but
otherwise built without a care for weight: super heavy dynamo hub (w front
and rear lights), super heavy Flyer saddle, super heavy xtra wide steel
bars, heavy Cliffhanger rims, and heavy 2.8 inch tires. It's right around
30 pounds and it rides light. My 2TT appaloosa doesn't ever compare, the
Susie is tons more "sporty." And oh the flex! It's like a dual sus bike
without all the drawbacks. I also think, fwiw, that it's a great candidate
for a "light build," and one day I'll prob cannibalize another bike to try
it out with a light wheelset, 2.2ish inch tires... it would fly.

Mack