The 'average' chance of being struck is indeed very low, but certain
actions and choices make a great deal of difference to your
'individual' chances.  When you're riding through the vanguard of a
thunderstorm your odds (surprise!) become MUCH better (worse) than 'a
million to one.' I don't know where you ride, there are many places in
the world and even a good number of places in the US where
thunderstorms aren't really a big deal (Grant isn't likely to have to
have sheltered from many while riding on Mt. Diablo,) but there are
many places in the US where they can easily be as dangerous as a mid-
sized hurricane. I've tremendously enjoyed many a good light/sound
show both here in the midwest and down on the Gulf coast, and like
Mojo I don't religiously follow the rules he pointed to, but there is
no question that there is an incredible amount of energy rolling
around up there and it is foolish not to respect it.

-kent (another weather forecaster, though almost certainly of far less
experience than Mojo)