I'll add that trail, the contributing dimension, can allow induced flop
from surfaces you ride on.

When there is a greater distance between the tire contact patch and the
projected pivot point of the steerer tube a greater lever arm is provided
to the input of the riding surface. On flat smooth surfaces going in a
straight line that difference stabilizes the front wheel. When a lateral
force, the weight of a front bag or other input occurs, the trail dimension
defines the length of the lever arm provided to that input that can produce
flop.

Riding very slowly can cause this, as Jim B. described. Steve P. has
described riding his Rambouillet on a slow uphill climb that produced
flop-induced steering that had him zig-zagging enough to stop and dismount.
I had a bump from a dismounted cyclist that induced a sharp front wheel
pivot on my Rambouillet.

When designing a custom frame and fork I considered my interest in riding
multiple surfaces and multi day trips I wanted to increase my tire volume
for comfort and control, reduce my front/rear wheel load difference and
maintain the capacity of  my Rambouillet and the Carradice Nelson Longflap
saddle bag. I went to 650B to reduce toe overlap of my under square (ST>TT)
geometry with larger volume tires. I went to lower trail to accommodate
front loading to better balance the load of the wheels (no more higher PSI
in the rear wheel).

The unexpected handling outcome I ended up experiencing was a reduction of
road or trail surface influence of the direction of the front wheel. No
more jerks or yanks of the bars in my hands. As many have said of lower
trail geometry, I don't have the ease of riding without hands that the
higher trail of my Ram or Disc Trucker commuter allow. Even with that said,
I found myself less worn out after long rides with a front load on low
trail than I did on high trail with a rear load. This comparison includes
differing wheel sizes and tire widths that may have a large effect too. I

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh