Huh! I wonder if there was a "burst" of cadence-fixation when ultra-stiff
aluminum frames hit the market. Guessing: They were too stiff for many
riders, these riders felt that they bogged down riding these frames, thus
they wanted very small gear gaps to compensate. OTOH, more flexible and
accommodating frames allowed or "encouraged" riders to use a single gear
over a wider range of conditions.

Sounds smart to me!