Thanks.  I didn't even think to see if the chainline was matching some
standard or other.  On multi-gear drivetrains, I've always been more
concerned with, and prioritized, arm- or chainring-to-chainstay clearance.
I might have compounded my problem by using a modern, wide (mtb or modern
gravel bike?) crankset with a 130mm hub.  Crank was such a good deal on
sale that I couldn't pass it up.

Funny, I meant to post this question on the ibob list.  But Brenton's
thread - asking for advice on chain sizing - threw me off and made me think
that's where I was.  At least the bike is a Rivendell.  :-)