Hi Leah et al.,

I agree with Pam, the Mountains to Coast ride in NC is a great introduction
and her advice tracks with my experience. A word of warning: you may become
a convert but since we are members of this Riv group, it’s probably a safe
assumption that people already know that you are bike crazy.

I grew up in southwest Iowa, in an occasional start town of RAGBRAI, so
cross state rides were just natural things that people would do. I rode the
CycleNC event last year and brought along a friend who already had a bike
but wasn’t a “cyclist” nor aware that this is a thing that people do.
Following the ride, he can’t stop talking about it and has been trying to
convince the rest of our friend group to do the ride this year.

The logistics of how to travel to a state with a bike, figure out where to
park and how to get back there at the end may sound overwhelming but is
very solvable. Especially if Pam will be there (hi Pam!).

I agree that RAGBRAI is kind of a lot. I have ridden BRAN which is very
different and enjoyable but Nebraska can be hot in June and the terrain is
only so interesting. I have heard that the UP Michigan ride is nice too but
I can’t personally speak to that. The Mountains to Coast ride in NC is easy
to recommend.

Good luck!
-Frank