On Monday, March 11, 2024 at 12:46:15 PM UTC-5 Greg J wrote:

Bill and Ted,  can you explain what you mean by the Dia Compe 986 deforming
or squishing when overtightened?

I just did a bit of googling and realize the brakes I'm thinking of were
980, not 986. Wish I still had them to take photos. On mine, working from
memory, the washers that have the channels for holding the brake pad post
and the brake pad posts themselves deformed, making fine adjustment
impossible. The eyebolt openings may also have deformed.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee WI USA