Is this the Rivendell Seoul commuter video that someone posted recently, or
another one? -- This one is dated 05/11/2024, so perhaps a different one.
In case it's the latter, I post it here and now. Either the same or another
very fun watch.

https://youtu.be/IzYSqKLosEo

I'd love to hear of others' commutes:

- How far?
- -What environment (urban, suburban, inner city, bleak industrial exurbs,
rural), terrain (flat, hilly, rolling; windy, still, rainy, dry, humid) and
vegetation (concrete, desert, tropical, temperate, savannah) and traffic
(urban danger, suburban feeder, rural solitude, lucky bike path).
- What bike? Photos and excruciating detail about build.
- Photos!

I used to commute across town (~Coors + Montano NW to ~Central + Juan Tabo
NW, or, earlier, Corrales Road + 528 to Carlisle + Indian School NE or
Unser + Ladera to University + Indian School NE), about 15 to 16 miles
1-way, but stopped June 2008 when I started working at home. But I too
found that a morning commute transformed a dreary day of work drudgery into
a "mini-epic" and "micro-vacation," and I had a local builder (Dave Porter
of long-ago time trial and racing bike fame) convert my "nice" 2003 Riv
Road Custom, that had been largely hanging on the wall while I commuted by
(nice) fixed gear beaters into a *very nice* fixed gear commuter; a
decision I never, ever regretted.

As I said, I now work at home but I use a bike for most of my
transportation, putting 3X the miles on my bike as the 600 miles per year
on my old car (mechanicals in top shape but body rather dented thanks to
daughter's 3-year appropriation during high school), with car continuing
the bike theme with stickers including "Old Man Petersen's Ferrous
Velocipedes & Canvas Curios" and the usual Rivendell favorite, "I Like
Eddy."

I just had a very nice time turning a 6/10 mile RT shopping errand into a
13-mile detour with some modest hills and 4 miles of headwind in the hooks;
that's pretty typical nowadays, with errand distances ranging from 11 to 25
miles and "fun" rides -- paved trails, sandy acequia trails and access
roads -- up to 30 miles on 3 bikes, Rivendell or Rivendell-as-model
customs. (Hope this summer God willing to assemble nice drop bar fixed
gear, 1X or S3X, beater to extend errand riding to places where I have to
lock bike up outside; I've been lucky for so long, being able to park my
bike in my office and wheel it through stores in place of a shopping cart).

I think that (at my age at least, 69)  20 to 25 miles RT would be the ideal
commuting distance, as long as the environment is relatively flat and not
too windy for most of the year. I used to commute 20 to 40 miles RT; 30 to
40 rt even as a young 40- and 50-something became a bit wearing, at least
trying to break 60 minutes clock running on a 67" to 70" fixed gear with
luggage and a 7-mile inbound gradual climb.

Hope to see photos and information about your (all y'all's) commute.

Oh: and your coffee, music, snack food.

Coffee: old man taste: strong, rich, black, no sugar. As a tutor long ago
pronounced, "Coffee is not a sugarable beverage." But generally I drink
English Breakfast with milk and a tsp of sugar.

Music: Bach and Handel, post-psychedelic Jerry Garcia, bluegrass.

Food: New Mexico and Italian.

--

Patrick Moore

Executive resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, letters, and other writing
services

*When thou didst not, savage, k**now thine own meaning,*

*But wouldst gabble like a** thing most brutish,*

*I endowed thy purposes w**ith words that made them known.*