I have both and consider them very different bikes. With the right tires,
you can definitely ride your Appa on dirt and trails. It is my choice for
loaded tours and scenic rides. The Susie has a very different feel to me.
The tires can go much bigger and somehow its geometry makes me feel much
more confident taking it on trails with more variable terrain. Downhills
are a blast. But it is not my ride around town choice. To me, the Susie is
the ultimate rigid mountain bike. It is big and bouncy and fun. If I could
only have one, I consider the Appa more versatile. But it is mighty nice to
have both. If you are on the fence, start taking your Appa on trails for
now and see if you want a more dirt-oriented bike.

Best,
Val in Boulder CO