That's a lovely setup, Bill! It's reassuring to know the 3x1 setup works
well.

After 6 months with my Platypus, I find myself lusting after a single-speed
Riv for my daily commutes. I recently reached out to ensure I didn't miss
the pre-sale for the Roaduno. I was informed the Roaduno pre-sale will be
taking place two weeks from now, Jun 27th. Now I find myself wondering what
colors will be offered :)

Tio "99.9% getting one even if it's the same color as my Platypus" Ryan

On Saturday, June 8, 2024 at 8:35:28 PM UTC-4 Bill Lindsay wrote:

> [...]
> handling even with a front load was great.  I was shocked at how well my
> knobby 700x26 Gravel Kings rode.  By looking at them it would be natural to
> assume they'd stink, but they were great.  After my summit I swung by Riv
> HQ and got the Will stamp of approval.
>
> Pics prove it:
> https://flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/53778303336/in/dateposted/
>
> https://flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/53778627464/in/album-72177720313832831/
>
> https://flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/53778626719/in/album-72177720313832831/
> https://flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/53778303561/in/dateposted/
>
> Bill Lindsay
> El Cerrito, CA
>
> On Sunday, April 28, 2024 at 7:36:15 AM UTC-7 Bill Lindsay wrote:
>
>> "I would expect much crisper shifting with that setup than a wide-range
>> triple up front. "
>>
>> If you build one of each and offer the comparative ride report, I'll be
>> pleased to read it.  I still have the gear chart in front of me the last
>> time Patrick Moore offered the theory that three gears in the back is
>> objectively superior to three gears in the front.  That gear chart has a
>> 36T ring with a 14/18/27.  I built a three cog freewheel and ran it on a
>> 120mm O.L.D. hub, but not with a derailleur.  Usually (and I expect now)
>> Patrick Moore will say how he is philosophically opposed to a tensioner of
>> any kind and prefers long horizontal drop outs and a QR skewer for manual
>> gear choosing.
>>
>> The thing that keeps coming to mind is the classic 5-speed freewheel:
>>  14-17-20-24-28.  That has all the span we're talking about.  A nice 120mm
>> O.L.D. frame with a 1x5 drivetrain, friction shifted with a modest rear
>> derailleur would do all these things.  Don't be surprised a drivetrain of
>> that kind pops out of my workshop in the next 3-6 months as well.  I
>> encourage Ted and Patrick to build their ideas also.
>>
>> Bill Lindsay
>> El Cerrito, CA
>>
>> On Sunday, April 28, 2024 at 7:10:32 AM UTC-7 Ted Durant wrote:
>>
>>> On Saturday, April 27, 2024 at 12:41:12 PM UTC-5 Patrick Moore wrote:
>>>
>>> But I keep coming back to theoretical efficiencies: IIRC, the gearing
>>> effect of tooth jumps in back are more or less double what they are in
>>> front. So the question is, how to get just 2 or 3 big jumps in back without
>>> a IGH.
>>>

>>>  Just build a 3-speed cassette and fill the rest of the space with
>>> spacers.
>>>
>>> Bill's 46-36-24 is jumps of 25% (46-36) and 41% (36-24). An equivalent
>>> 25% jump in back would be 15-19 (24%), 16-21 (27%), 17-22 (26%), 18-23
>>> (25%). An equivalent 41% jump in back would be 16-24 (41%), 17-25 (39%),
>>>  17-26 (42%), 18-27 (41%), 19-28 (39%), 19-29 (42%), 20-30 (41%), 21-31
>>> (39%), 21-32 (42%),  ...
>>>
>>> A very close equivalent to the 46-36-24 in front would be 15-19-28 in
>>> back. Pair that with a 44T chainring and you'd have 42-63-79 gear inches on
>>> 700x32C tires. At 22t of required chain wrap, take your pick of any rear