My wife also loves her pair.

For my socks it's often the Striped socks from Rivendell.  Either
shorty or longer.  Plus it's nice they are made in Minnesota.  In
fact, purchased a couple of pairs a few years ago from them at the
State Fair.

Otherwise the REI or similar socks seem to hold up remarkably well.
Basically look for anything with over 80 percent wool.  Depends on
what's on sale.  (Yes, I do wear longer socks while riding.  Part of
my not caring what's correct attitude.)

All time favorite were the dark grey socks Rivendell sold for a short
period of time. Forget what they were made of.  Angora?  Blew out one
heel after two wearings.  Still have them.  Mainly for reminding me
that I'm too tough on socks.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN