All major metropolitan areas up and down the West Coast, the Rockies
(Denver), the Midwest (Chicago), and the NE (NYC, etc.) are having the same
problem.  We could probe into the reasons for these crimes and/or their
lack of punishment when committed, but that would hastily drift into
political discussions which are forbidden on this blog for very good
reasons.  I would offer this advice:  If you have a bike all decked out
with pretty anodized "bling" components be careful where and how you lock
it up.  Or, if you have a bike outfitted with recognizable high-end
components, the same advice.  Beyond that, you're on your own.  If I were
still into mixed-mode commuting I'd use the oldest, ugliest beater I could
find that would get me to the train station and back again.