I made the pilgrimage to Walnut Creek via Bart yesterday, my Sam was
waiting for me. I thought it would be romantic to ride home and get a
proper feel for my first Rivendell...and it WAS. Roman is a pleasure to
work with and he showed me some details of the bike. I didn't know this but
they give you some swag too:patch kit, allen tool, bandana, the new
seatpost diam. stickers etc...fun!

Build details: I bought the Sam Hillborne to replace a Crust Romanceur and
moved most of the parts over. The low trail handling of the Romanceur did
not sit well with me, felt too unstable and quick descents felt borderline
dangerous requiring both hands on bars. I did need 700c wheels so I kept
with the Velocity Quills in case I go tubeless again.
*Hub sound is important to me, I have a White T11 that is very loud (too
loud for me) and would make sense (to me) on a proper road bike. But the
Sam (and the Crust) is my do most things bike, including low speed
neighborhood runs with my kids, errands, etc. A loud hub is a conversation
non-starter in these situations. I visited RBW earlier and really liked the
stock Velocity hub, louder than Deore but still quiet-ish, a classy sound
imo. Rich used one word to describe the Silvr hub.....LOUD. I also have the
Velocity dynamo hub which Rich says is the same as the Kasai (which isn't
in stock atm.
*Son light, paul cantis, White VBC cranks (44x30) albatross bars, a new RBW
front rack etc.
Bike thoughts: Only 20 miles with some hills into it but I love the
stability! That was my main reason for selling the Crust and I love how the
Sam handles. With sweep back bars the handling can become too light but I
was able to ride hands free down small hills which I would never try on the
low trail Crust. YAY!! I will fine tune bar height; the stem is a Tallux 12
which is an error, we had decided on the 90-190 so Roman will have that
switched next week. I will try to post pics here but if not I will reply
with pics.

I may change the eggplant bartape to olive or navy or grey. I'm open to
suggestions!

I'm looking forward to more time on the bike, thanks for reading!
Brian