Hey Jake,

U-brakes predominantly became the industry standard for most commonly
produced vintage mtb's mainly between 1987-88, though they started
appearing as soon as 1985. By 1989 most were gone. I'm open to being
corrected should someone know better. This is what I've observed in my
vintage mtb nerdery from years ago.

The original u-brake's don't age very well, but Dia-Compe's new/modern
u-brake offerings provide all the adjustability of a modern canti-lever.
Slightly more difficult to access yes, but otherwise if well adjusted, it
should not require attention for quite some time, like most brakes.

-Armand "puts-the-nicest-u-brakes-on-his-bikes" in Santa Monica, CA