with the caveat that we are all adults and need to make our own decisions.
 personally I would be ok with lighter loads like sleeping bags, tents on
the side of this rack.  in lieu of panniers (which themselves add weight),
consider those adventure style cages that strap to the fork, or rack like
this one.  https://www.salsacycles.com/gear/anything_cage_hd

they are meant to attack to bosses on side of fork, but can also be
strapped on if careful.   I do this but on the rear of the bike to get the
extra carrying capacity for my lighter stuff.