Have you tried Shimano 9spd indexed barcon shifters? I have used them for
years, and they work great. Nice little cu-chunk when it shifts and
it doesn't miss a shift. They have a friction option too. You would have to
get new levers, shifters, rear derailleurs and chain. You could also go
with newer Riv silver barcons
in friction mode and keep it 11 speed. You would just have to switch out
the brake levers too. You could sell the GRX brifters and recoup some $.

Fred
Mount Prospect, IL