I generally try to keep a pretty light hand on the tiller of this crazy
cruise, and I'm genuinely conflicted as to how to handle this thread.

On one hand, I'd like to lock it and delete the gruffer posts,

While on the other hand, folks stood up for themselves in an appropriate
and (so far) respectful manner. It seems like some points have been
excessively reinforced and need no further embellishment (the first way out
of a hole is to stop digging).. And some folks found terminology to be
triggering, so I want to respect that also.

One tenet I've mentioned probably too infrequently here is the idea that we
are all going to express ourselves poorly from time to time, and if we can
give one another the space to do that, it's for the benefit of all.

If this thread devolves into personal invective, it'll get sliced up and
locked. But if we can take a deep breath and step back, I'd rather get back
to appreciating the _spirit_ of the original post.

We'll see how that goes, yeah?

- Jim / list admin

On Thursday, August 8, 2024 at 6:40:07 PM UTC-7 Brian Campbell wrote:

> Agree with George.
>
> While there is no ill-will intended,  as victim of wilding incident a few
> decades ago, you are sending a message that you might not want to!
>
> My wife's broken nose can attest to that!
>

> On Thursday, August 8, 2024 at 12:15:18 PM UTC-4 George Schick wrote:
>
>> Umm...I don't think I'd refer to it as a "wilding" if I were you. Here is
>> the standard definition for that term:
>>
>> https://www.google.com/search?q=wilding&oq=wilding&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i512j46i10i131i433i512j0i10i131i433i512j46i10i512j0i512l2j46i512l2j0i512.3080j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
>> The Urban Dictionary is even more explicit.
>>

>> On Thursday, August 8, 2024 at 10:10:59 AM UTC-5 Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I did it again. I went to that crazy Wed night Grand Rapids ride. From
>>> now on I’m calling it “wilding.” As in, “I am going wilding! See you way
>>> past bedtime!” I think that’s a real term, I might be misappropriating it,
>>> but it sounds fantastic and suits my purposes.
>>>
>>> I arrive at the city park a little early and watch the crowd roll up.
>>> The wheelie crowd is right on time, careening around on rear wheels and
>>> making everyone nervous. A wide variety of bikes are in attendance. We have
>>> a massive turnout, 121 riders, just awesome to behold. J is leading, and he
>>> brings this:
>>>
>>> [image: image0.jpeg][image: image1.jpeg]
>>> You can see here that cleanliness is very important to him, and that he
>>> does mostly tame rides and so we would have nothing to fear since he
>>> planned tonight’s route.
>>>
>>> Here is my bike, demure and innocent, having its first adventures
>>> amongst all these GR rabble rousers.
>>> [image: image2.jpeg]
>>>
>>> It is 8:30pm. We set off and a new group makes its appearance. I call
>>> them The Jumpers. They have full suspension bikes with names like Salsa on
>>> them and when we go up a ramp, they ride up the stairs. They fly off ledges
>>> and drop back into the group and scare this nurse half to death. They
>>> launch their bikes and sashay through the air and hope everyone is
>>> watching. The Jumpers are wilding the hardest.
>>>
>>> I quickly realize that the middle-back is the place to be. Away from The
>>> Kids and The Jumpers. I want to ride by J, but I also want to go home by
>>> private vehicle, not ambulance.
>>>
>>> We block intersections and ride through red lights; drivers submit to
>>> all of this. No honking or threatening behavior. Just tolerance for 121
>>> bikes and riders wending through their streets. We ride through
>>> neighborhoods (only one crash!), and then along the aptly-named Grand
>>> River. Everyone stares at us, a massive clot of bikes, moving along the