On Friday, October 4, 2024 at 4:43:09 PM UTC-4 Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!
wrote:

He found that the headset was loose, so he tightened that too (and mashed
the headset cup or spacer or whatever in the process).

It's worth noting that, while the frames ship with headsets, they aren't
installed. Despite trying to be careful about installation, I have found on
all three of my Sams that the FSA headsets seem to loosen up pretty quickly
after initial installation, and the linear bearings seem to want the
adjustable surface to be pretty tight, tighter than normal ball bearing
headsets.

That said, I wouldn't describe the sound of a loose headset as "ticking",
it's more like "clunking" and is readily felt and seen by applying the
front brake and pushing the bike forward and back.

And I would be irate if a shop mechanic handed back my bike with a mangled
part. My headset locknuts are bit scuffed but I only have myself to blame
:-)

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA