It’s so true, Jock. That was the first thing they told me when I joined the club rides 2 years ago…never cross wheels. If you do, you’re going down, not the person in front of you. My women’s group is good that way; we don’t ride aggressively and we follow a code of conduct. It has been a different experience in co-ed groups. I have had men ride my rear wheel and it makes me so nervous (even though they would be the ones going down).

It’s also true that it is pure pleasure to ride in a group that moves together and swiftly along. We are often riding well over 16, just flying over the countryside. If we hit the wind just right and get some flats and downhills you just really feel a heightened sense of focus and synergy. I love it. Am addicted to it. Plus, we chat!