I just remembered another incident that broke a rear derailer and that was
caused by a too short chain.
The bike was in the big ring on the crank probably a 46 tooth ring.
I think the rear cassette had a 34t big cog.
I had reused a too short chain and should have known better and sized the chain
before riding the bike.
Riding in the big ring on the crank I shifted into the big 34 T on the back and
it was too much for the derailer stretching it way passed where the cage should
go and broke it into two pieces.
Another lesson learned...make sure your chain is sized to the proper length for
your bikes drive train.
Safe riding,
Paul in Dallas
box_liam on Instagram