Don't know if this is strictly a forum topic, but since GP weighed in, I will
also.  I am not a fitness guru by any stretch of the imagination, although I do
read a lot about health and fitness (I am one who did not care for Sisson's
book. Not because of any science, simply because that's not how I do things).

I do belong to a well equipped local gym, but long ago I "borrowed" a routine
from a semi-pro triathlete I know.  His entire workout regemin consisted of
natural exercises in the outdoors. His theory was that it was outdoors where he
needed his fitness to be optimum, and in all sorts of weather and temp ranges.
For instance, all of his pull-ups were made from dangling off a tree limb
somewhere.  He climbed trees, he hopped along on rocks and tree trunks, hefted
and tossed heavy stones, rolled backwards down grassy slopes, etc.

I'm not that extreme, nor am I competitive, but I do like to try and NOT look
and FEEL like I'm 62 years old.  Several times per week I bike my workout.  I
stop every few miles or yards or  less and do curls with the bike holding the
top tube, or I press the bike after I tie down the front wheel with a cuff
strap.  I stop and do push-ups on guard rails or along the Par Course in the
Marina. I hold the bike under one arm and walk a balance beam or even the stone
wall along Kelly's Cove Marina.  I heft the bike cyclo-like and trot up the
Lyon street steps (that's a killer). I like working the bike into the exercises
because the weight is lop-sided and varies depending if I have a load.  I
always do the same number of rep's from both sides of the bike to balance my
workout. Some days more, some days less, some days not at all.

I have found that the Quickbeam is the best bike for this workout, but I have
also used the Bleriot.

I really enjoy these workouts, and there are also lots of short but steep
climbs on the route to get me that sprint effect.  Long ago I tried swimming in
Aquatic Park with a friend who does that each morning. FORGET THAT!  I
damn-near froze to death.  But, if I could ever get into swimming the bay, that
would be the ideal end of this workout -- after warming back up in the club's
sauna!

For the record, I eat and drink whatever I likeā€¦