On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Mojo <gjtra...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://www.rivbike.com/assets/payloads/317/original_grim_three.jpg
> I think the above URL should be changed from grim to grime!
>
> I like getting my bikes dirty, but it is not alot of work to clean
> them afterward.
> Drivetrain grime especially gets in the way of crisp shifting.
> And I paid a heck-of-alot-of-moola for that JB paint job!
> Nice bikes deserve to be cleaned. And even my beatup 1966 3-speed is a
> nice bike in my book.
> Of course this says alot more about me than Grant.

Maybe because i don't have a JB paint job, but i'm also pretty lax
about overall bike cleaning. I'll wipe down and relube the drivetrain
and the brakes if they're making noise, but unless a bike really gets
caked with mud i'll just ride it. I also end up riding in the rain
just often enough to rinse things down. Maybe once a year or so i'l
give a bike a proper cleaning and rebuild as needed, but that's it. If
anything, i'm inspired by the dirt and wear on Grant's bikes, it
reminds us that these are meant to be ridden hard and well-used.

--
Bill Connell
St. Paul, MN