on 7/13/10 11:43 AM, Rob Harrison at robha...@gmail.com wrote:

Maybe I am, no wait, I _am_ naive and gullible, but it feels to me like the
guy who's selling the bike has no idea it may not be a Rivendell. Probably
because the person who sold it to him told him it was a Rivendell. Or maybe
the owner before that. Looking at it, I sure don't know enough about lug
styles or allowable paint jobs to determine it was a fake. You'd have to be
way into the history and lore to have that knowledge, and my guess is that
that level of knowledge and enthusiasm only comes _after_ you own a
Rivendell or four.

I do think it's important not to ascribe or imply malicious intent.  Few of
us are likely to know the seller's backstory, etc.

The only thing that was ringing in my brain was something Grant wrote a
while back in a Reader (and I think it was echoed a few times in various
Catalogs, etc., but I'm at work and don't have time to dig through them
right now) where he said something along the lines that he wanted to build
bikes that could be missing paint, decals and show years of use, but someone
would be able to recognize them as a Rivendell.

It definitely seemed like it was, at best, an outlier in that spectrum.
It's been interesting to hear more of the facts now.

- Jim

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

³Velvet pillows, safari parks, sunglasses: people have become woolly mice.
They still have bodies that can walk for five days and four nights through a
desert of snow, without food, but they accept praise for having taken a
one-hour bicycle ride.²  - Tim Krabbe, "The Rider"

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

Send In Your Photos! - Here's how: http://www.cyclofiend.com/guidelines