I thought most folks on this list and most bike friendly people
already had a beater bike - ? I remember seeing owners lists of 6 to 8
bikes per  that included city, touring and beater type bikes. Do you
need 2 beater bikes in your stable now?

Don't confuse "inexpenisive" bike with "beater" bike. To me they are
two different things. An inexpensive bike is a new entry level Trek or
Giant. Beater bike is something old off of Craigslist that needs
repair or new parts.

The problem with an inexpensive Rivendell bike is we will load it up
with Nitto racks, Brooks saddles and Sackville bags and it will be
obvious that the bike is not really inexpensive or a beater. What you
will have is just a little cheaper frame and maybe some lower end
components. Not interested...

Don't persue the lower end of the market - it would be a huge waste of
time and resources.

Slightly off topic: Going to San Fran on vacation tomorrow with the
family. Hope to make it by the Rivendell shop either tomorrow or
Tuesday. From downtown San Fran how long would it take to get to Riv?
I don't want to ruin it by making a selfish  personal trip but if I
can pull it off - I'lll give it a shot. Take an hour? Two?

Joel