Woods valves! I remember them! I suppose you can still buy the little rubber
tube that fits over the metal valve core?

I wonder if these are made in India ...? If so, I should think one could
sell them in the US for far less than $500. (Oh, spiffed up -- as in alum
rims, ss spokes, better brakes, Schraeder valves ...)

But it looks like a very affordable, 3d world type utility bike that is far,
far far FAR (did I say it often enough? In case I didn't:
FARFARFARFARFAR!!!) better than the crapola, turn-of-the-19th-century
design, rod brake roadsters. ($1,500 Pashleys --- faugh!)

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Earl Grey <earlg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not a for sale ad. :)
>
> I was just surprised that I got no responses to my reply to the Riv
> beater thread, but I did respond rather late... Anyway, if they can
> sell this bike for $120 in Thailand,
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/25150...@n08/4811164801/
>
> I can't see why it couldn't sell in the US for $500 with some spiffed
> up specs. It really is too bad this market niche remains empty in the
> US.
>
> This is my wife's bike, a 2008 lugged steel, 6 speed Raleigh with
> metal headbadge, fenders, basket, kickstand, chainguard and
> skirtguard, and even a passenger seat w/foot-pegs in lieu of a rear
> rack. :) (As the Thais say: "buy one, free one.")
>
> I was dead-set against buying it, because it seemed too cheap, but it
> has held up very well for 1.5 years of almost daily commuting and the
> occasional ride to dinner with me as the captain and my wife on the
> back seat. The lugs are the crudest you'll ever see, the fork is a
> unicrown and an ugly one at that, the rear drum brake is a joke,
> especially combined with the plastic brake levers (but the stamped
> metal front sidepull works well), and the indexed shifting requires
> overshifting to get into certain gears (but at least it's easy to do
> with the thumbshifter). The nipples are plated steel and have started
> to rust (I just WD40 them on occasion), and the cranks, seat post,
> hubs, and bars are steel as well. The tire sidewalls cracked all
> around the first year because the tubes kept loosing air and my wife
> would ride it with 15-20 psi or so rather than dealing with the stock
> Woods valves or asking me to pump up her tires, but the tires are
> still going anyway. The paint started out as a metallic turquoise but
> has faded to a much nicer bluish silver from 1.5 years of tropical sun
> exposure at her work.
>
> Anyone wanna help me import these? :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gernot