I live in a town in northern Vt where most of the roads are dirt and I
enjoy riding them more than I do broken pavement.  I suppose the much
lighter traffic on the back roads is part of the joy, but unless you
have an urge to go as fast as you can, dirt roads are great for
riding.  The comment about tossed stones is true, but I find that more
of a problem in my car than on my bike.  Trucks & large SUV drivers
who need to do fifty and pass others on these roads leave behind a
trail of chipped paint and windshields.

I don't find the dirt roads to go through tires any faster than the
avg. (bad) road around here. The surface of dirt roads changes
constantly with weather and grading.  I find 32's are fine when the
roads are in good condition and 38's (nominal under all but the very
worst conditions (mud season).  The tandem does fine with 26x1.6.

Paved roads are great when they're in good condition, but then they
deteriorate and can be rotten for years before they get fixed,
especially if they are less traveled by cars, which is exactly what
cyclist tend to seek out.

Michael
goofing off at work on Sunday morning