David:

I've seen this before on Matrix ISO rims in the 80s.  They came dark
anodized.  Over time, the dark anodizing wore off at each spoke
location.  This process took years and even when worn there was only
mild bumpiness when braking.  If these are fairly new rims, I suspect
a rim problem more than a brake problem.  There may be a way to rig a
dial indicator in a wheel truing stand to check the suspect surface.
The wheel may be true in that it doesn't wobble, but if the braking
surface is lumpy it could cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

dougP