> just like it's fun to go bombing around on a country bike, some folks
> find it fun to go fast on a road bike whether they race or not.  light
> bikes are fun to ride, and if people are having fun - why not have a
> race style bike?  for the some, the "occasional short fun ride" is 50
> miles at 20+mph - a road bike seems like a good choice there.

I am not aganst them, and indeed Tom Kellogg of Specturm Bikes is in
the process of making me a 30th Anniversary racer.  If you only have
one bike, however, a Hilsen or a well thought out Rando would probably
serve you better.  That is, if you ride as much and for as many
different reasons I am guessing BFD (and you, Steve and most everyone
else posting here).

Granted, San Francisco has some unique terrain and plenty of mass
transit and walking options.