My initial attempt at setting up multiple cockpits is going *very*
well for me. Get the one bike; and get what you need to make it three
or four bikes as desired. I highly recommed daVinci bar-switch kits
for this purpose. They don't address the front brake issue... But...
it turns out that if you have a Paul motolite brake up front then
simply getting an extra hooked canoe and noodle (moto kit) for each
bar really makes things easy.

I've got Albatross and Moustache bars set up this way for my
Hillborne. Makes it two completely different bikes. The initial set up
of the da Vinci splitters is somewhat tedious. But on my very first
switch of bars I did not have to adjust a thing; my indexing and
brakes were good to go. Definitely more economical than multiple
bikes.

Yours,
Thomas Lynn skean