Tim:

Personal experience is interesting.

I'm also over 200 pounds and I've been riding bikes for 40 or so years
in all of the increments of gearing - pre-BMX, touring, MTB. Yet, I
haven't had a spoke break since 1980 - the year I got my first
handmade rear wheel. I have had two wheels develop eyelet cracks and
one wheel self-destructed due to a rim manufacturing defect AND I've
had a slew of crappy machine made wheels that always seemed to go out
of true. That's not the same as comparing apples to apples - My
experience tells me that well built 36h wheels (with good quality
parts and a professional build) are pretty equal in durability. I will
certainly acknowledge that less dish is probably an advantage to the 7
speed freewheel hub (on a 135mm spacing!), but that it is a belt and
suspenders approach to building strong wheels that carries with it the
disadvantage of availability of parts/ranges/shifters. I will also
admit that I've wanted a set wheels builty with those Riv/Phil hubs
and a seven speed FW for a couple of years.

As you pointed out in your post, heavy, aggressive riders certainly
put more strain on their wheels. I met a guy this summer who had
toured 10,000 miles on his stock Surly LHT without any wheel issues!
He packed lightly and weighed about 170.

Dave