I have no clue how much use I get anymore.  It's a spectacular week if
I get 100 miles ridden, shared between 3 frequently used bikes so it
takes me years to stretch chains, and I no longer use a cyclometer so
who knows how many miles that is.  Every bike has super low gears now,
so I'm sure the answer is a lot of miles per 1/8" of stretch.  A lot
more miles than it was in my youth when my granny gear was a 42/24.