Another side of the question is whether or not you demand the the
ultimate in performance for various types of riding.  If you intend to
go on the weekly racers training ride on Thurs and rock hopping on
Saturday, you need a couple of very different bicycles.  OTH, if you
like friendly pavement rides, S24Os, some hiking trails and fire
roads, pretty much anything Riv makes can handle those.  I've portaged
my Atlantis across some rock falls that may have been passable on a
double suspended MTB (not by me, mind you!) and chased some fast guys
(downhill works best).  It's obviously less than ideal for those
situations, but not so much as to create serious bike lust.  FWIW, as
much as I love my Atlantis, I'll venture a Bomba or Hunqa, set up the
same way, would perform just as well.

dougP