Seth:

There actually is some logic behind the no tandem rent in the city.
While I am sure you and your partner are experienced tandem riders,
novices can be quite a hazard on tandems, especially in urban areas.
A rental out fit in Chicago added tandems to its mix a few years
bike.  After a high accident rate it was forced by its insurer to drop
them.

Obviously the fellow should have been more polite about it.