I think I've seen some long-used Swallows, and they seem to need their
tension screws tightened way down after a while.  I'm guessing this is a
result of tension being distributed over less leather, increasing stretch.
I had a VO model 6, which stretched out quite a bit from the get-go.

I don't really know how much or how well these were used, just that they
were old and used.

I keep thinking Brooks saddles are best on frames with a 72 or 73 degree
seat tube, which would allow at least this rider to use setback v straight
seatposts to get my butt position right.  For me, 74 and 75 frames need
either an extreme seatpost or something other than a Brooks.  I don't find
any real difference in setback requirement between a B17 and my
Professional.  When I can get either adjusted, I like the B17Imp best, but
that's just based on shape.

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 12:20 PM, grant <grant...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Colt and cutaway saddles in general
>
> The flaps that get cut off are part of the saddle's structure. Without
> the flaps, the saddle sags sooner. The Swallow deals with it by
> riveting the two sides together underneath, but I've never seen a well-
> ridden Swallow (mostly they go on Show Bikes, not Go Bikes), so I
> don't know how well it works. Just because I haven't seen it and don't
> know doesn't mean they aren't out there, and it works great.
>
> The Colt deals with it, if it continues to deal with it the way it did
> when it was introduced in the  '80s, by overtensioning. That's what
> goes on with the Swift, too,  and you can see it manifested as a
> slight dolphin-hump from front to back. It's always kind of funny when
> mouths talk for crotches, but when my mouth channels my crotch, it
> says, "Hey man, that hump puts a lot of pressure right where I don't
> need it."
>
> I got the first two Colts in this country way back then, as gifts, and
> I wanted to love that saddle, but I couldn't do it.
>
> Another thing to examine is the rail shape. On the Swift (152mm wide,
> compared to 160 for the Pro and 170 for the B.17), the rails stop
> being parallel farther from the nose, which means you can't shove them
> back as far. Everybody I know except Keven shoves his/her saddle back
> as far as  it'll go, and 90 percent wish it would go back more. I
> think, but as always I don't know, that the rail shape is guided by
> the cutaway leather, meaning the designer doesn't like the look of
> parallel rails way far forward on a cutaway saddle.
>
> I'd like to end this on an up-for-Brooks note. The saddles delivered
> since the Italians bought Brooks in 2004 or whenever...have been
> better than the earlier ones. I think Brooks is overplaying the
> Heritage card, but that may be necessary to reach a younger audience
> who isn't familiar with it. The boxes are suspiciously stout---who
> needs 'em that thick and cleverly comparmentalized?--but overall, it's
> still the saddle to beat, and the Brooks saddles of today are the best
> ones that I can remember.

Ken Freeman
Ann Arbor, MI USA