We can cancel this request, thanks... I think I may have it resolved.
After consulting Sheldon Brown (God bless this man's legacy!), he gave
me (yet another) great shifter tip. (The first shifter tip I got from
him a few years ago was to run a low-normal derailleur with bar-end
shifters so that the shifters move in the same direction (down for
downshifts, up for upshifts), which as it turns out I much prefer.

His latest tip: Suntour index shifters pull less cable than the
Shimano, so using a Suntour shifter on a Shimano 6-speed freewheel
would cause an undershift... However, the same 6-speed shifter on a
Shimano 7-speed freewheel pulls close to the right amount of cable
(according to Sheldon), and there is actually room for a 7th shift on
the 6-speed Suntour shifters, using the limiter screw to "unlimit" the
derailleur movement.

SO... as I install my blingy Riv bullmoose bars on my Bombadil this
week (just waiting for some final cable-swap hardware), I'll shortly
be installing (6-speed) Suntour XC LS 7000 thumb shifters to
(hopefully) work well with my 7-speed Shimano-compatible freewheel.
Fingers crossed, in Sheldon we trust.

If all else fails, these shifters have a friction option.

BB