It all comes down to the physics of you and your bike. Torque, cleaning and lubrication are most likely your issues. Too much torque and not enough of the other two = component wear. You sound like a forceful rider, or one who is frequently in situations that require above average demands on a drive train. As to whether components have become "softer" is hard to argue, unless a lot of people are reporting these same problems.

Either way, unless component manufacturers want to get on the list and admit their products are more delicate than XX years ago, the whole matter is guesswork. I broke a chain for the first time in 30+ years recently. Is it because I weigh more than I used to, or are chains just punky now. Hard to say.

Dave