A few notes on how I did it and the supplies employed:

I used some quite nice 25lb test wax coated nylon thread designed especially
for stitching leather:
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/1227-03.aspx?feature=Product_3&kw=thread

<http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/1227-03.aspx?feature=Product_3&kw=thread>I'd
encourage anyone contemplating a similar modification to use a product like
that. The thread ends up under quite a load!

I also used this leatherworking awl to expand the existing stitch holes in
the bag:
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/3209-00.aspx?feature=Product_1&kw=awl
<http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/3209-00.aspx?feature=Product_1&kw=awl>Any
sharp narrow awl should do the trick.

Finally, I used these needles:
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/1195-00.aspx?feature=Product_14&kw=needle
<http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/1195-00.aspx?feature=Product_14&kw=needle>They
are noteworthy because the tips are blunt, which helps your stitch follow
the awl hole.

I'm sure there are ways to do it without these things, but they certainly
made the process much more pleasant.

Cheers,
Reed