Thank you all for the good information, and for pointing me to that
older post on tents. I really like the idea of the tarp tents and the
hammocks. I live in Nova Scotia -- the ground is rocky and the weather
is very unstable and gets nasty quickly...and cold. So I think the
double-walled free-standing tent is the best. I am just AMAZED at how
much variety there is out there. Just not sure if I want to make it a
solo or two-person tent. You guys on the west coast -- I envy you! I'm
an Angeleno by birth and would love to cycle in that stable and dry
environment!