From: rbw-owners-bunch+nore...@googlegroups.com
<rbw-owners-bunch+nore...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [RBW] Digest for rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com - 23 Messages in 7
Topics
To: "Digest Recipients" <rbw-owners-bunch+dig...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Friday, October 8, 2010, 7:12 AM

  Today's Topic Summary
Group: http://groups.google.com/group/rbw-owners-bunch/topics

Lights [4 Updates]
If Rivendell were ever to sponsor a pro racer... [5 Updates]
My Betty Foy... at last! [5 Updates]
Intro/First Riv - Interior Frame Rust Question [1 Update]
New (to me) Rambouillet [5 Updates]
Rivendell in Twin Cities Metrotransit brochure? [2 Updates]
FS:  Slightly unique Sugino XD600 compact double crankset, bb, 170 mm, 34-48
rings [1 Update]

   Topic: Lights

      Tim McNamara <tim...@bitstream.net> Oct 07 05:41PM -0500
        ^

      On Oct 7, 2010, at 11:48 AM, Jim Cloud wrote:

> Tim,

> What are the lights that you're using with your Sanyo Dynapower?

Jim, I am using a Busch & Mueller Lumotec with 3W halogen bulb.  This

is the unswitched version because there is no need for a switch using

a tire-driven generator that's not turning when not in use; with a

hub dynamo, a switch is good.  The one I use does not have a

"standlight" that stays on for a while when you stop; that's the

Lumotec Plus.  I have a switched Lumotec Oval Plus for my bike with

the Schmidt dynohub.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schmidt-headlights.asp#unswlumotec

I got mine from list member Jim Thill's shop, Hiawatha Cyclery.

While I find that this produces plenty of light for long rides in the

dark (dusk to dawn), I do plan to upgrade to an eDelux LED lamp.  The

reliability of the LED lamp is appealing, and they are apparently

much brighter than the halogen bulbs.

Another option, if you're handy with a soldering iron, is to build

your own LED light.  There's a lot of information on the Web about

this and it could be a fun project.

      GeorgeS <chobur...@gmail.com> Oct 07 04:40PM -0700
        ^

      I have the Son20 and an Edelux set up on one bike and it is wonderful

but the bike is the one I use for long distance riding.  For around

town I have a Ixon IQ which I got from Peter White and several bar

mounts so that I can move the light around.  Very good coverage and

bright enough to spot pot holes when one is doing 12-15 mph.  I would

not feel comfortable with this light on any kind of fast dark downhill

unless I was very familiar with the road.  Come to think of it, I

wouldn't feel comfortable in that situation with any light.

GeorgeS

      Lynne Fitz <fitzb...@comcast.net> Oct 07 07:43PM -0700
        ^

      Rationalization...  The SON28 was not a rationalization.  Getting the

SON20 in ADDITION to the SON28 was totally a rationalization.  So?

:-)

Lynne "when you are building a custom bike, you sort of lose sight of

what things cost..." F

      EricP <ericpl...@aol.com> Oct 08 05:42AM -0700
        ^

      I have a SON on my Sam Hillborne.  It works well.  But am not ready to

make that type of financial committment to my two other bikes.  Yet.

The ones that will be ridden through the snowy/salty winter.

Also am not sure I'd want to put the SON through the abuse my bikes

usually get in winter.  Just going to look ugly after a year or

three.  Not beausage, ugly.

Eric Platt

St. Paul, MN

   Topic: If Rivendell were ever to sponsor a pro racer...

      Mike <mjawn...@gmail.com> Oct 07 05:00PM -0700
        ^

      ... it sounds like Rishi Grewal might be their man. Grant could kit

him out with some MUSA shorts and a Hilsen or maybe a Hunqapillar.

"Two weeks ago, Grewal took part in Wheat Ridge Cyclery’s Crooked

Roubaix, his first competitive event since his retirement. Despite

riding a mountain bike, flat pedals and hiking boots, Grewal finished

the 90-mile gran fondo-style high-altitude event on dirt and paved

roads in the leading group, crossing the line in fourth place out of a

field of some 125 starters."

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/09/news/inside-cycling-with-john-wilcockson-alexi-grewal-is-deadly-serious-about-comeback_142905

      Mike <mjawn...@gmail.com> Oct 07 05:02PM -0700
        ^

      Oops. That I meant Alexi Grewal, but who knows, maybe his brothers

Rishi and Ranjeet could be his domestiques.

      "S.Cutshall" <clotht...@gmail.com> Oct 07 05:52PM -0700
        ^

      Pretty cool indeed... perhaps a dentist trip [or three] pro-bono too?

-Scott

      Stuart Fletcher <stuart.fletc...@gmail.com> Oct 07 06:06PM -0700
        ^

      Wasn't Alexi Grewal involved with/sponsored by Moots way back when?

Does anyone remember when Moots were big advocates for fenders?  I'm

talking back in Moots Mounts™ days, way before titanium.  I still have

a catalog (just a couple printed sheets IIRC) from Moots and I

distinctly remember a Moots Mountaineer being listed at $1250 for a

complete bike.  Woulda been '84 or '85 I think.  Memory lane...

Not much Riv content there... I'm about to commute home on my

Rambouillet though.  That will be fun!  (And *its* fenders will be

coming in handy in the coming days even if Moots has forsaken their

fender-ish roots.)

Stuart Fletcher

Seattle, WA

      EricP <ericpl...@aol.com> Oct 08 05:39AM -0700
        ^

      Yup.  The fenders were lighter plastic than the Mt. Zefal of the

time.  They were very short.  Ended up making a long mudflap for my

Stumpjumper mountain bike/commuter.  That bike was also set up with

the original Moots Mounts which had the wooden ball ends.  The fenders

were strong.  Raced at least one Chequamegon 40 with them on the bike.

But, yeah, I also remember Alexi being sponsored by them.

You're right, though.  These have nothing to do with Rivendell.

Although I would like to see Rivendell do a modern version of the

fenders and/or Moots Mounts.

Eric Platt

St. Paul, MN

   Topic: My Betty Foy... at last!

      Crazy4Suki <buckyy...@yahoo.com> Oct 07 02:05PM -0700
        ^

      Beautiful Betty! I think you all will enjoy her as much as I do mine :)

      amoll68 <amol...@comcast.net> Oct 07 05:15PM -0700
        ^

      VERY nice! I'd ride that around town myself.

Best,

Alex

      cyclotourist <cyclotour...@gmail.com> Oct 07 07:20PM -0700
        ^

      I end up riding my wife's Glorius most of the time... luckily our
standover

is only 4cm different!

--

Cheers,

David

Redlands, CA

*...in terms of recreational cycling there are many riders who would

probably benefit more from

improving their taste than from improving their performance.* - RTMS

      Thomas Lynn Skean <thomaslynnsk...@comcast.net> Oct 07 07:34PM -0700
        ^

      Hi!

Your Betty is indeed a beautiful bike. And set up in the same general

way I'd do it, I think. I like the idea of the Quickbeam crankset

especially. Seems right for the bike's aesthetic *and* 'round-town

intent.

I'm curious... you got a 58cm, to fit both you and your daughters.

What is your PBH and their PBHs (or height)?

I'm contemplating a Betty at some future point. I have a 90 PBH and am

6' tall. In an ideal world, I'd probably ride the newly available 62cm

Betty. But if there's a chance that the Betty could be my wife's main

bike and that I could also ride it comfortably... well, that's an

enticing scenario, even if it would require a change of stem/bar to

prep for each rider. My wife's 5' 5" and normal-legged and -armed.

Normally it'd never occur to me that she could ride a 58cm. But at

least one person on the list who's even shorter than that indicated

she was comfortable on the 58cm. So... I'm curious.

Again... beautiful bike! Love to see it with rear rack and fenders!

Yours,

Thomas Lynn Skean

      Garth <garth...@gmail.com> Oct 08 05:25AM -0700
        ^

      Oh Betty !!

Betty's are so cool looking .... thanks for the detailed photos.

I'd love to get one too, but I see by the proportions that even the

62cm wouldn't be tall enough in the front end for me. (I use a 82cm

saddle height) I thought these would have that, as they are intended

for Albatross bars, but no such luck.  I would buy one in heartbeat if

they had a higher front. Maybe they'll adopt the Compact style of

higher front ends on these some day, so one doesn't need a super tall

stem.

   Topic: Intro/First Riv - Interior Frame Rust Question

      Angus <angusle...@sbcglobal.net> Oct 08 02:57AM -0700
        ^

      My All-Rounder, which I traveled with prior to applying frame saver

had/developed a film of rust over the insides of the tubes.  Grant

said to frame saver it and it would be no problem...he was

right...I've had the bike for over 12 years now without a problem....

13 more to go!

Angus

   Topic: New (to me) Rambouillet

      MichaelH <mhech...@gmail.com> Oct 07 02:11PM -0700
        ^

      You're going to love this bike, because it loves to climb, scream down

hills, and has impeccable manners.

Nice build. You can use the Bleriot for all the rough and practical

stuff but this one's just for the joy of it.

Welcome to the Rambouillet club!

michael

      Johnny Alien <johnnyal...@verizon.net> Oct 07 04:04PM -0700
        ^

      > Nice build. You can use the Bleriot for all the rough and practical

> stuff but this one's just for the joy of it.

That is 100% the plan.  For fun rides and long distance road riding I

am going to use the Ram while the Bleriot will be my all-purpose rail

trail bike.

I am not sure how I feel about the Noodles yet.  They are wider then I

typically use and I am not sure if I like it or not.

      Seth Vidal <skvi...@gmail.com> Oct 07 07:07PM -0400
        ^

      > trail bike.

> I am not sure how I feel about the Noodles yet.  They are wider then I

> typically use and I am not sure if I like it or not.

that sounds a bit like how I'm using the rom and the atlantis.

But I have to say I use the atlantis for anything involving carrying

more than just me and the essentials.

It really handles loads nicely, especially rear-balanced ones.

-sv

      Bob Cooper <robertcoo...@frontiernet.net> Oct 07 04:28PM -0700
        ^

      Beautiful photos. Artistic. Wonderful lighting.

Bob

      Steve Wimberg <st...@stevewimberg.com> Oct 07 09:51PM -0400
        ^

      I had Soba bars, which are the same bend as Noodles I think, on my Ram

when I first got it and thought they felt a bit wide also.  I traded

them out for a pair of 45cm Nitto Randonneurs which I really like.  I

forget what width the Sobas were.  46 maybe?

That little bit of up and out bend on the Randonneurs feels really

great to me.

Enjoy that bike.  I love mine.

Steve

On Oct 7, 2010, at 7:04 PM, Johnny Alien wrote:

   Topic: Rivendell in Twin Cities Metrotransit brochure?

      cm <chrispmur...@hotmail.com> Oct 07 02:29PM -0700
        ^

      bleriot. I think it is the mayor's or maybe it was some other city

official-- i forget.

Cheers!

cm

      EricP <ericpl...@aol.com> Oct 07 05:49PM -0700
        ^

      It is a Bleiot.  Owned by a person who works for Metropolitan

Transit.  He has used the bike for demonstration of proper mounting on

the bus bike rack.  See him occasionally, but cannot remember his name

offhand.

Eric Platt

St. Paul, MN

   Topic: FS:  Slightly unique Sugino XD600 compact double crankset, bb, 170
mm, 34-48 rings

      eflayer <eddie.fla...@att.net> Oct 07 02:32PM -0700
        ^

      FS:  Slightly unique Sugino XD600 compact double crankset, bb, 170 mm,

34-48 rings

I'd say it is in 9 out of 10 condition.

I am selling a slightly used Sugino XD600 compact double crank.  This

has about 750 miles on it.  Bought from Yellow Jersey in Wisconsin.

One of theirs from a couple of years back when they customized triples

by shaving off the granny studs.

This crankset is unique due to the lovely silver Stronglight 48 tooth

ring that I sourced from England via the internet.  A much nicer

looking ring than the clunky chunky one usually supplied by Sugino.

Also for sale is a Shimano Un72 107 mm square taper bottom bracket.

This one has the alloy non-fixed cup rather than the plastic one on

most today.

$85 shipped for the crank.

$100 shipped crank and bb together.

Prefer paypal personal payment.