on 10/13/10 10:09 AM, James Warren at jimcwar...@earthlink.net wrote:

> I had a great Atlantis ride up Railroad Grade on Mt. Tam in Marin County the
> day after the Rivendell garage sale. I used Marathon Extremes, knobby 40ers.
>
> On the say down, Hoo Koo E Koo was good, but then on Blithedale Ridge heading
> down back toward Mill Valley, I chickened out a few times and walked the bike
> down the steep stuff. I probably would have done the same on my MB-4 with two
> inch knobbies, probably would have done the same on a full sus bike.

The upper part of Blithedale Ridge (from where it connects with HKEK) has a
couple of spots which are just about the steepest sections of roads on the
mountain.  This time of year, it's dry, dusty and very loose.  There are a
couple spots where if you did go "off piste", you'd have a while to think
about what you did before you started hitting stuff.

Nothing wrong with discretion!

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

Gallery updates now appear here - http://cyclofiend.blogspot.com

"Maybe a bike, once discarded, pines away year after year for the first hand
that steered it, and as it grows old it dreams, in its bike way, of the
young roads."

-- Robert McCammon, "Boy's Life"